The texture of the Groats in a risotto is just delightful - slightly chewy but still with the creaminess of a beautiful risotto. You can simply replace the rice with a like proportion of groats in most risotto recipes - just make sure you give the groats at least 30 minutes cooking time to ensure they have lost their 'crunch'. This recipe is a typical meat free risotto but feel free to add meat or serve with meat as a side dish.
- 2 palm sized pieces of pumpkin any variety grated or cut into small pieces
- 1 red onion medium sized grated or finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon crushed garlic
- 1 cup Brushwoods Groats
- 1/4 cup Brushwoods Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 cups stock chicken or vegetable
- 1 cups water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 handfuls of washed baby spinach roughly chopped
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup full fat thickened cream optional
- Fresh chopped parsley to garnish
Place pumpkin, onion, garlic, groats and oil into a large pot it and saute until onion changes colour.
- Add water and stock and bring to the boil. Once boiling turn down and simmer, occasionally stirring to check liquid levels. You want this to cook away until most of the liquid absorbs and groats are tender, approx 45 minutes.
- Once cooked turn off the heat and add spinach, cream and cheese and give it a good stir.
- Serve with some fresh chopped parsley and more cheese